Saturday, July 12, 2014

9 months old

Benjamin is adorable as always. Lamoni started teaching him the baby sign for "please" a couple days ago. I wasn't planning on doing baby sign. I figured they have their own way to tell what they want and I didn't want to work hard on something he would only use for a little bit until he talks. He learned it so quickly, though, (two days) and it's so cute that I think we might add to his "vocabulary". He doesn't always do it, but I'm sure he'll get more consistent with time.

He likes to walk around the house, not crawl. He pushes his walker, the table or cruises along holding onto things. He has learned that he can't push the piano bench, my teaching stool or the kitchen chairs. He sticks his bottom waaaay out pushing things to get the momentum going enough to move on the carpet.

He is 9 months old today. He is a tease and enjoys being silly with us. He likes to play as soon as he gets up in the morning. He plays peek-a-boo with anything he can put in front of his face - like the shower curtain. The toilet is still his favorite place. We baby-proofed all the cabinets. I left one cupboard in the kitchen (and the drawers) and one in the bathroom open so he can play while I'm in those rooms. It's typical to walk into the kitchen with all the contents from the drawers strewn across the floor. But at least he's occupied! I want to get him blocks or something to help keep him busy, but then I don't want to be picking up blocks all the time either!

As soon as I get him up from his naps (he still sleeps in the swing swaddled and with a pacifier) he is immediately curious and shows what everything he's looking out with his pointer finger on his outstretched arm. He also peers around the corner excitedly to see if I have any students there. Whenever we answer the door for students he is so smiley and friendly. I think he thinks they're there for him.

Recently he started clapping whenever we say "yay!" or "good job!" I have him turn on the lights sometimes (with help of course) and I guess I always say good job because as soon as he turns on a light now he starts clapping. Sometimes he gets waving and clapping mixed up. If we say "hi" or "bye" he'll clap sometimes and then he'll wave if we say "good job". He catches himself occasionally, though, and then switches.

Lamoni and I try to go on dates regularly without Benjamin. When he's with us both of us have our attention fixated on him usually. We went to see How to Train a Dragon today and left him with Jarrett and then Charity when she was done teaching. It was funny because a bunch of things during the previews and movie reminded us of him and we'd lean and whisper to each other how it made us think of him.

He's constantly babbling. He says things that sound so much like words now instead of just consonant streams. He also says mama! Yay! I've waited a long time for that one. And he mimics our inflection and sounds we make. It's cute to hear him matching our pitch. He enjoys singing along at the top of his lungs still.

Those are the 9 month updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment